No Yeast Cinnamon Buns
I wish I had a picture of these, because they were awfully tasty.
I set out to make these the night before, not realising that they didn't need prep the night before. These were quick and easy to make in the morning.
- 75g unsalted butter
- 250g light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
For the cinnamon buns
- 560g all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground cardamon
- 240g cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 300g cold milk
- sugar for dipping
- Preheat oven to 390f.
- Load a muffin pan with muffin cups, or butter the pan
Prepare the filling
- Melt butter and leave it in a warm place so that it remains liquid. There's this warming element on my stovetop that I use for this.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon until no lumps remain.
- Set aside.
Make the dough
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix in the cold butter.
- Mix, either in a stand mixer, or with your hands, until you get a coarse meal.
- Pour in the cold milk and mix until the dough forms a ball and comes away from the bowl (or is just a bit tacky if you're mixing by hand).
- Turn the ball out on the counter and let rest for a few minutes.
- Fold the dough over on itself once or twice, then let rest for 10 minutes.
- Dust a surface with flour and roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 5mm in thickness.
- Brush the surface of the dough with the melted butter, then sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture on it. You want a good slightly thick layer.
- Roll the dough up along the long side, keeping it neat and tight.
- Once it's rolled up, gently squeeze the roll to ensure it has the same thickness throughout.
- Cut with a sharp knife into 12 even slices.
- Take a roll, peel back about 5cm of the lose end, and tuck the lose end over the bottom of the roll. You're using the end of the roll to cover the bottom of the roll so that the tasty goo in the middle stays in the middle.
- Place in the muffin cups (or right in the muffin pan) flap side down.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- As soon as they're out of the oven, flip them over ont a wire cooling rack. Dip each bun into a bowl of sugar and serve right away.